Department of Defense – Cybersecurity Scholarship Program (CySP)
Davenport University, in cooperation with the Department of Defense, offers the CySP (Cybersecurity Scholarship Program) scholarship.
Davenport University is recognized as a National Center for Academic Excellence in Cyber Defense (CAE-CD) by the National Security Agency and the Department of Homeland Security.
Each student in the program will be supported for up to two years. The specific benefits will be:
- A graduate student will be paid a food and housing stipend of $32,000 per academic year. An undergraduate receives $27,000.
- The scholarship will pay for the full cost of tuition, required fees, books, and a stipend to cover food and housing.
- DoD will also provide sponsors who will maintain contact with the student during the scholarship period, and who will facilitate the student's entry into internships and eventual DoD employment.
Completed Application Deadline: February 1, 2023, at 11:59 pm
(Application tool will close, no late applications accepted)
Interviews will take place the week of February 13, 2022.
1. Be 18 years of age or older
2. Be a U.S. citizen (Note, if family members are not U.S. Citizens, some DoD Agencies may be unable to process the applicant (student) to the security clearance level required. Every effort will be made to assign eligible students at an Agency without such restrictions.)
3. Be enrolled (or accepted for enrollment) in one of the identified CAE colleges or universities listed in this announcement, or enrolled (or accepted for enrollment) at an institution selected by a CAE as a collaborative partner for these purposes.
4. Be a full-time student and have completed (or by August 2019 will have completed) at a minimum the first two years of an undergraduate degree program and be eligible to (a) begin either the third or fourth year of an undergraduate degree program; (b) begin the first or second year of a Master's degree program; or (c) pursue doctoral studies
5. Be pursuing a course of study and/or have a declared major in one of the scientific, technical, or managerial disciplines related to cybersecurity or with a concentration in cybersecurity. (See Attachment C for full list.)
6. Sign a written agreement obligating you to work for the Department of Defense, as a civilian employee (or military employee) for one calendar year for each year for which scholarship assistance is received
7. Serve in internship positions, if timing permits, with DoD organizations during the time you are receiving scholarship support
8. Be recommended by the CAE for the scholarship program
9. Agree to a security/background investigation (to prepare for internships and for future employment with the DoD)
- Drug tests or other suitability processing will occur as appropriate.
- Visit the following sites for more information
10. Maintain good academic standing: 3.2 out of 4.0 GPA (undergraduates); 3.5 out of a 4.0 GPA (graduates)
** Failure to maintain these minimum grade point averages constitutes grounds for immediate termination of financial assistance and your appointment under the IASP. Additionally, if you fail to complete the degree program satisfactorily or to fulfill the service commitment upon graduation, you shall be required to reimburse the United States, in whole or in part, the cost of the financial (scholarship) assistance provided.
11. Complete the full student application process including
- Full CySP Application - Attachment D (completed & signed)
- Separate sheet highlighting recognitions, awards and honors (one 8 1/2 x 11 page)
- Supplemental Academic Sufficiency Statement (OF612), with the following attachments
- Two letters of recommendation (One must be from a current faculty member) addressing your potential for successful learning, knowledge & ability (signed and on letterhead).
- Official (Certified) Transcripts (may be electronic, but must be submitted to DU and not issued to student)
- Supplemental Competency Statement: Knowledge, Skills and Attributes (See Attachment D, page 6)
- Signature on the Supplemental Statement of General Academic and Employment Condition (Original signature on form OF612 required)
For more details see Attachment C - Department of Defense (DoD) Information Assurance Scholarship Program (CySP) Application Background and Requirements
All grants are subject to availability of funds.